History of the C B Watson Cup
The C B Watson is, without doubt, the oldest trophy played for in our association. Information on the trophy can be obtained from the log book of the association with reference made to it as far back as 1951 - almost as old as the association itself! The following references are as they appear in the old log books:
July 11th 1951 - a letter from the Birtley firm, Durham Chemicals Ltd, suggested that they would supply a suitable trophy to the association for an annual competition. This trophy would be called 'The C B Watson Memorial Cup' It was unanimously agreed that the association record an appreciation of this firm's magnificent gesture. It was agreed that the C B Watson would be run as a knockout competition.
It was agreed that in all rounds prior to the semi final, any profits would be equally divided between the two competing teams after the expenses of the visiting team had been taken out. In the semi finals and final, after expenses had been taken out, any profits would go to the association.
It was agreed that up to and including the semi final, the home team would be responsible for all arrangements and that three days clear notice of these arrangements should be forwarded to the visiting team
20th September 1951 - it was proposed by Mr Forster, seconded by Mr Wood, that the final game should be one leg only and the game be played on a neutral ground. Teams involved in the first C B Watson Cup competition were:
12th February 1952 - it was moved from the chair that suitable mementoes should be obtained for the winners and runners up of the C B Watson Cup. This was agreed. After close scrutiny of the various types of plaques, it was agreed that plaques costing 6 shillings each should be obtained plus a further outlay of 2 shillings & sixpence for inscription. It was agreed that 24 be purchased for an outlay of approx. £10 6s 6d
8th May 1952 - a letter was read from Birtley Parish Council granting the use of the Welfare Ground for the C B Watson Cup final on May 23rd
Mrs Watson, widow of C B Watson, presents a gleaming, new C B Watson Cup to the victors in the early 1950's. Looking on is Mr Bob Everett, secretary of the association
The secretary informed the meeting that he had contacted Mr G Bland (Durham Chemicals) and had been informed that Mrs Watson and her daughter would be delighted to attend the match and present the trophy and plaques. Invitations would also be sent to Mr G Bland and the various secretaries of the sports sections run by the employees of Durham Chemicals Ltd.
It was agreed that tickets and bills should be printed and 10 bills and 400 tickets would be purchased.
The first winners of the C B Watson Cup: Langley Park
22nd July 1952 - a letter from Mr Bland, Durham Chemicals, was read out to the meeting. He thanked the association for the complimentary tickets which he had received on behalf of the employees of the firm. He also respectfully pointed out that the trophy had been presented by 'The Employees of Durham Chemicals Ltd' and not by 'Durham Chemicals Ltd' and requested that this heading should be used on future occasions. A letter was read out from Mrs Watson expressing her thanks and delight on being asked to attend the C B Watson Cup final with her daughter to present the trophy and plaques.
This, then, was the start of the most prestigious competition in our association. The rules of the competition have changed. For many years, only the larger schools in the association (numbers of children in the junior department) compete for the trophy.
St Margaret's right) celebrate after winning the final trophy of the season, the C B Watson Cup, in 2012, at a sodden Red Rose School and who could blame them for the celebration having won every competition is the Chester-le-Street League as well as being crowned Durham County ESFA and 5 a side champions and runners up in the Grimes County Cup - the only competition they failed to win. In the 60 plus years since having the trophy donated in 1950, it is doubful if celebrations have ever been as good as this!
In 2015, they won the trophy again, beating
another four teams in the final at Red Rose. Roan Varley and Will
Robinson celebrate on a much drier pitch than than in 2012. Will and
Roan also represented the district team and enjoyed a wonderful
season in schools' and district football.
The C B Watson Cup still looks in good shape after being passed
around schools for over 60 years (see the gleaming trophy in the
photograph above as it was presented to the association by the widow
of Mr Watson, a respected boss in the Birtley firm, Durham